Before being designated as the site of one of the first Federal immigration station by President Benjamin Harrison in 1890, Ellis Island had a varied history. The local Indian tribes had called it "Kioshk" or Gull Island. Due to its rich and abundant oyster beds and plentiful and profitable shad runs, it was known as Oyster Island for many generations during the Dutch and English colonial periods. By the time Samuel Ellis became the island's private owner in the 1770's, the island had been called Kioshk, Oyster, Dyre, Bucking and Anderson's Island. In this way, Ellis Island developed from a sandy island that barely rose above the high tide mark, into a hanging site for pirates, a harbor fort, ammunition and ordinance depot named Fort Gibson, and finally into an immigration station.
Just in case...
Date: 2005-11-12 12:32 pm (UTC)http://www.nps.gov/stli/serv02.htm
Re: Just in case...
Date: 2005-11-12 12:34 pm (UTC)But Chris Norman does not:)
Re: Just in case...
Date: 2005-11-12 12:36 pm (UTC)Re: Just in case...
Date: 2005-11-12 12:37 pm (UTC)